Friday, June 15, 2007

taste.travel.ENGLAND. Part One: Introduction.

There is nothing quite like English bread.













Even I, a devoted Francophile, was duly impressed with the quality of bread in England. It was both a surprise and delight to find that the bread I had was consistently delicious almost everywhere I ate, even at little delis that seemed to be otherwise un-special.

English bread isn't dainty like French artisan-quality baguettes. To begin by oversimplification, English bread seems to come in two varieties: white bread and brown bread. There was always a crunchy, thick crust that kept the inner dough soft, supple, and moist. English bread is bread meantfor soaking up warm soup, sponging the last taste of sauces, and depending which side you're on, for smothering with fresh, creamy butter and a thin smear of Marmite. English bread is hearty, fresh, and satisfying.

My discovery of England's delicious bread foreshadowed the quality of the country's cuisine in general. Despite the suspicions (beans on toast), the admonitions (beware black pudding...), and worst of all, the prejudices (fish 'n chips!!), I discovered a rather exciting an dynamic side of English food, all thanks due to my wonderful new friends, the Hopes, of the beautiful English estate, The Priory.

So without further prolonging the obvious, my final assessment of English cuisine is the following (are you ready, John?):

English food is outstanding.

Even with Marmite. Or, Marmite notwithstanding. Or, exclusive of Marmite. Depending on which side you're on, of course.

I cannot say that all English food is outstanding, just I would not say that all American, French, or even my beloved Italian food is 100% palatable. My foray into English cuisine was admittedly very unique. It was thanks to the Hopes that I had such a delicious experience, and I can only begin to express my gratitude to them for sharing their love of food, drink, and each other with me during my stay at the Priory.

My exceptional English epicurean education took place in three particular regions: London, Cambridge, and the provinces in Hertfordshire and Northamptonshire. It included a wide range of cuisine from sharing shrimp cakes at the local Chinese to eating with joy and amazement at an establishment deservingly awarded two-Michelin stars.

As there is so very much to cover, I have decided to organize my experience in three parts, by region, to share with you the ways by which I discovered English cuisine. Consider each installment a sort of epicurean travel guide, complete with restaurant reviews and a few things to do in between meals.

So happy eating old chap, safe journey, and cheers!

If you are planning a wedding and thinking about having your wedding in England, there is no where quite like the Priory for a private, elegant, and romantic setting for your big day.

The Priory
Little Wymondley near Hitchin
Hertfordshire
Phone: +44 (0) 1438 748647
Fax: +44 (0) 1438 355519
http://thepriory.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment